[NTLK] eMate hinge repair question - how critical is the one that ISN'T near the display cable?

Eric Rucker bhtooefr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 23:54:47 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 23:38, R A Parker <RAParker at newted.org> wrote:
> Yeah, but my question is whether you can (or are going to) put a
> washer on the hinge (the side with ribbon cable). If you only gong to
> lube it, it would be a mistake. As I remember it, the screw that holds
> the spring, looked like it would pop easily over time no matter. It's
> a design flaw. By not removing the spring, cleaning the dried lube
> off, putting a quality lubricant and a washer, you will risk popping
> that spring eventually. It'ou might buy yourself 6 months to a year of
> moderate use.

I was under the impression that I could simply remove the screw, add
the washer, and all of that without completely tearing the machine
down, as is stated here:
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

Eventually, I would fix everything properly, possibly even within a month.