[NTLK] eMate hinge repair question - how critical is the one that ISN'T near the display cable?

Woody Smith woodysmith at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 15:38:46 EST 2009

I am coming into this conversation quite late but certainly there has
been many past conversation in the past about this.  Some folks have
been satisfied to use a fine applicator and to feed a silicon oil into
the hinge without disassembly (don't know how).
I have done hinge cleaning and washer installation on 50 or more emates.
The reason that I remove the hinge whether it has popped or not is so
that I can remove the old grease which has become very sticky and is
usually contaminated with metal filings and dirt.  It is also much
easier to work new grease into and under the spring with it removed.

What you are proposing would be fine.  If you have good ventilation
try spraying with WD40 to remove some of the old grease and once
mostly dry work in some lithium grease.  The washer will limit the
springs ability to snap loose while still long enough to hit the ribbon.

I have never seen the sprung hinge on the non ribbon side do harm
other than making the lid loose.

Welcome to the list and enjoy your emate.

Woody