[NTLK] New members

Andy Hill adhill at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 23 16:42:11 EST 2009

Dear Tim

Good on you for joining The List. It's good to have younger people here
too and your membership has significantly changed the list demographics
which can now be boasted to include the following:

1 young man
1 woman (only recently left - so still counted)
2000 men (mostly aged over 40, with big beards,  gadgets clipped to
their belts and their trousers pulled up too far- (well that's my
impression of us!).

Seriously though, welcome to the List.

Like you say, there is no Newton website that has everything, but there
are a few main sites that have almost everything and will direct you to
everywhere else that is of any use.

The List Archive is a superb resource in itself. It has many years of
Newton history and debate and it's a great place to start with a
specific query.

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/

Unna is the main store for packages and the following sites that are on
the bottom of each email are excellent too. Newton FAQs are a must read.

The Official Newton FAQ     - http://splorp.com/newton/faq/
The Newton Glossary         - http://splorp.com/newton/glossary/

There are many others maintained by list members which you will get to know.

In terms of things like getting NIE running, the manual for this in the
Apple folder of Unna and the instructions are quite clear:

http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/nie20_ug.pdf

For comparisons between browsers I would see the List Archive - there
are many discussions about this, but they all lead to the same point.
Browsing is very limited.

Hope you enjoy your Newtons..

Andy

Tim wrote...