[NTLK] Update eMate 300 - Screen Issue etc. - wanting to buy a fixed up eMate

Woody Smith woodysmith at comcast.net
Thu Dec 24 03:58:46 EST 2009

What James says is right on, though in your case you may find that the
ribbon is being shorted, by the spring having partially partially cut
through or more likely 2 or more traces on the ribbon are severed.
Replacement ribbons are often offered on eBay for $15 to $25.  As far
as I know Frank Gruendel is the only person who is repairing ribbons.
Restoring a sprung spring is a bit of a challenge but not too bad.
Re-celling the batteries is not too difficult.  Creating/buying and
installing a AA battery tray should still incorporate the two safety
features built into your battery pack.  See Franks site for explanation.

I have done a number of these repairs and charge $35 plus shipping for
hinge repair and $25 to re-cell a battery and I understand that this
is more than twice what most people are charging today for eMates on
ebay.  This is a hobby for me and my day job has nothing to do with
electronics so if I can do it so can you except for the ribbon repair.
I have a pretty nice eMate with hinge repair done and re-celled
battery pack and a slightly annoying 1/8th inch burnout area on the
display that I can ship to you for $60.  You can swap displays if you
find it too annoying.

Economically speaking you would be better off buying another and do
the repair before the ribbon is damaged.  use your current one for
practice.

If you want my help please contact me off list.

Woody