[NTLK] Newton 2010 Patch?

Woody Smith woodysmith at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 11:15:54 EST 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 9:46 PM, Todd Naber wrote:

> It was mentioned about a 2010 Newton Patch on the NewtonTalk Digest.
> I guess
> I'm a lurker as well though I read the NewtonTalk Digest now every
> time I
> get one in my Inbox. I use a 12" iBook G4 1.33 (with Mac OS 10.4.11)
> as I'm
> too cheap to afford a newer MacBook Pro; and I recently acquired a
> MP 2100
> and a MP 120 that my employer was going to crush in the compactor.

Excellent.    I don't believe the 120 needs the 2010 patch.

> I also recently acquired a Entrega USB to ADB adapter and am hoping
> to get
> the Newton's connected to the iBook on Mac OSX.

The Newton does not use ADB it uses serial, though perhaps your
adapter is actually an USB to serial.  Mac serial has 8 pins.

Either of your computers should be fine.  The biggest problem is the
connection between the 2100 and the modern mac.  Neither of yours has
a serial port.  Additionally unless you received a serial dongle with
the 2100 it doesn't have one either.

You will need USB to serial adapter with drivers for your OS.
Serial dongle, SER-001 serial port, Cable with Newton interconnect
plug on one end and serial (PC) with adapter if necessary to your USB
adapter. see jksalesinc.

use NCX or NewTen for installing from osx or NCU from OS9.

Alternative for the 2100 is either wired or wireless ethernet card,
and a loaner card with drivers for the Newton.  Not all cards work
check archives.

Good luck

Woody