[NTLK] The Newton Successor

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 20:31:02 EST

So far, I still use my Newton, mainly for reading eBooks. It is actually a very good eBook Reader. I take notes with it occasionally, but have some new work flows under OS X that really work well, linking my email with iCal.

I think the next step for me is to get it up on the internet, and try to use it to read news feeds, and maybe email.

But, with that said, there is some exciting stuff happening in the form of eReaders, like the Kindle 2, the Plastic Logic eReader, the Sony eReader and the iRex eReader. All of these are a step in the right direction, and actually sort of emulate what the Newton does already. They are still wanting, however, because input is constrained.

However, things are changing... what they do well, and where they will surpass the Newton is in their crisp eInk displays that look incredible. The text and images just pop out of the screen, thanks to the eInk screens.

They just need to add proper input methods with a stylus, and things will be looking up.

The iRex is the most functional of them all, and I wish I could try it. The Sony eReader is pretty good, but the screen on the top end model is not as good as others. The Plastic Logic eReader looks amazing, paper thin, large screen, virtual keyboard, built in wifi...

Where is Apple on this? I think Jobs got it wrong when he said people don't read anymore... I think people still read, and in fact, it could be sort of trendy: book reading comes in ebbs and flows, but there is stability in it. Then we think of education and the uses it could have there... Come on Apple, give us that darned fabled Tablet already!

Ryan
www.thisoldmac.ca/wordpress