Re: [NTLK] Dear Steve Jobs... (your help is needed)

From: Joseph Reilly <reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 17:20:56 EST

I respectfully disagree. I think Steve cared about the newton as an
idea but hated it because it was too open/expandable (he loves his
closed sandboxes, I just listened to the iwoz audiobook and it
mentioned how he wanted to short change the apple ll on expandability)
and most importantly the newton wasn't his baby. Why else would they
have developed another PDA? (although it was shelved, Steve did admit
to it in an interview). I think if we gather enough support and media
we may be able to get them to out the docs and code so the community
can fix it, but I'm sure that's about as much help as we can expect
from the mothership. Of course a patch from the mothership would be
nice and if that happens I'm calling down stairs to get my snowballs
back!

I especially like that the letter points out that most newton users
are users/buyers of new apple products. It was my 2001 iBook that
really got me into apple (couldnt afford a newt when they came out
lol) but it was my newton (from eBay in early 2007) that cemented my
support of apple products.

Win or lose count me in on this plan.

Joe Reilly