Re: [NTLK] [OT] eBay sniping

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 02:55:02 EST

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Scott Hoffman <hoffo@mac.com> wrote:
> Yeah, actually as it was used I figured what I bid was pretty good.
> I went on to bid a few bucks more but decided (foolishly, I now see)
> to wait to bid again.  I was more than willing to bid more but
> didn't have the chance to as I was outbid at like 5 seconds before
> the close of the auction.

That's why eBay says to give your absolute maximum bid when you first
bid. Just post it up front, then you don't have to worry about snipers
or sniping. Of course, it's always best to wait until fairly late if
you can, but I have won several auctions that I bid early on. You
could watch people snip away at the price, but, of course, the biggest
movement always comes at the end, with attempts at sniping, but if you
bid high enough, you won't lose even to a snipe. There have been times
I have had to pay a tad more than I wanted, but I only do that on hard
to find, or hot items that I genuinely need. So, there are
"snipe-proof" strategies. Snipers are generally trying to snipe a
bargain, so if you are willing to pay, you should win against a snipe,
and and Apple briefcase will generally go high, and you better be
willing to pay--unfortunately.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland