Re: [NTLK] Any tips on using Mail V? This is my first email o

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 01:35:00 EST

On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 3:00 am Ryan Vetter wrote:

> Some observations:
>
> 1. Takes a long time to
> download mail...?? Like
> several minutes just for
> a few small messages, is
> that normal?

Yes... No... Maybe... I have three years of strategy under my belt... where do you want to start?

Being subscribed to NewtonTalk, I will download a number of messages (consecutively) in the 3-10K range pretty quickly. 1 or 2 seconds each.

When your Newton downloads messages in the 20-50K range, things can slow down. The Newt really doesn't shuffle big chunks of data around (quickly).

You will want to avoid messages over 100K. Your Newton may end up pausing long enough (handling the data) to cause the POP Server to time out and disconnect. (see mention of Mail V Rules - earlier).

Typically, you don't want messages this big on your Newton, anyhow. They are usually HTML format, with pictures or attachments, etc. Essentially, a needless waste of space on your Newton.

Since I'm also subscribed to dealmac & dealnews, I have my max size pretty high. As far HTML mail, it is only "Just OK," sometimes not. I prefer text.

> 2. Why the "he double
> hockey sticks" does yahoo.ca
> cause all kids of crazy
> behaviors/error messages,

Research and experimentation. In my search I also found mail.sbcglobal.net but this one is still on my side of the internet. Try the IP # of your mail server, bypass the DNS. Search the support forum archives for your ISP.

> where using sbcglobal
> settings does not?

There are two ways SBC is going end... either they are going to continue (non) official support of my servers or they'll flip the switch (like .ca may have already) and my Newt will be out of luck. Then I will have to find another.

On some of the previous posts, I wanted to return to them and answer some lingering thoughts... for now, I'm going to give you a break.

Signing off,

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM