[NTLK] MessagePad 130 and Newton Press

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 04:49:17 EST

Well, off of mobileme now, back to free yahoo...

I just wanted to update those interested... so far really liking the "classic" Newton form factor, as in the MP 130. It is sleeker and more appealing than the 2000/2100.

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's "Prey" on the 130. Very good experience reading 1400 pages on the Newton. I know I saw something about an auto scroll somewhere, so I would not have to tap next page everytime I want to flip forward.

As for making books, I have found that 14 font is ideal when using Newton Press, with New York font, anything under size 14 is too small for long periods of reading. It was also easy to convert the digital book "Prey" into a Newton book with Newton Press. I can see where Newton PDF viewer becomes sort of unneeded... for books anyway: Newton Press does a great job, and the text is uniform... PDFs would challenge the user experience such that 1 page would have to sort of be zoomed out to fit the screen: that is, scaling PDF documents on the Newton Screen would offer challenges, and likely result in horizontal scroll bars.

All raw text is a good thing in relation to books. What about images with Newton Press?

Thanks,

Ryan