Re: [NTLK] Letter from Steve Jobs

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 17:53:57 EST

~~~ On 2009/01/07 21:57, Borja Robles Maldonado at borjarm1@hotmail.com
wrote ~~~

> I must say that even i�m an apple fan, i don�t think of them as the saviors
> for us who love the Newton. One cannot forget the History, they killed our
> device, no matter who (Jobs or anyone).

Yes Borja, this is what I was getting at. The Apple of today isn't the
Apple that gave us the Newton. Of course that's led to some good decisions
and results. But the collective failure of the company as it is now has
blinded them to the fact that the main thing "wrong" with the Newton was
timing: they came up with the idea before all the technology was in place
to carry out the underlying idea, and before the company was quite ready
with the money to see it through. Now, the company is financially stronger,
and the technology is more advanced (due in part to their own work on the
iPod and iPhone, among other things), and the only things missing are the
vision of what a "Newton: Reloaded" could be, and the will to see the market
waiting for them between the iPhone-sized gizmos and MacBook.

Maybe they're forgetting -- or have forgotten -- how to "Think
Different[ly]"?

In any case, they've already lost control of the cursive part of the HWR, if
what I've read here is correct, so unless/until someone comes up with the
HWR engine that blows away what I already have in my MP2100, Newton: TNG is
already the stuff of fantasy.

BTW (and I realize this is a tad OT and apologize), last Monday I dreamt of
the "iNewt", and it's amazing! If you all could only see it, it would blow
you away, and we'd all be writing cheques for at least one. I was so sorry
when I had to wake up, but the alarm on my MP2100 was insisting that I get
ready for work. Meh.

Shalom.
Christian

“Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.”
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl