Re: [NTLK] OT: Help for Performa6400

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 18 2009 - 18:42:58 EST

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM, johnsinho's! <suporte@fractal.med.br>wrote:
> I had a Performa 6400/180 with 136MB RAM. I loved that machine. You know
> it has an integrated sub-woofer, don't you?

Yes, you hear it every time it boots up ^_^,

All PPC Performas had IDE HDs but SCSI CD-ROMs (ID=3).

Actually I was fussing with it just now and I think I pulled out the 20GB HD
I installed onto the sled and reinstalled the original 2.4GB, I believe the
order of events was I booted to the blinking floppy, reinstalled the older
drive, booted back to the blinking floppy, then inserted the 9.04 iBook OS
CD.
Somewhere in between it indicated the HD was not recognized and tried to let
me format it... I was not sure if this was a good idea and then canceled
this procedure. Now I can't get it back to see it when booting with the
9.0.4 iBook CD :(

My 6400 originally came with a 1.8GB IDE HD. I changed it to 30GB
> instead. I eventually installed a 500MB SCSI HD just for the
> VirtualMemory (under the upper hood - yes, there is a loose SCSI cable
> there waiting for it - but no fixation brackets).

 Good to know.

Make sure the jumpers always define the HDs as Masters (not "Cable select").
> Keep in mind that the IDE controller may be shot as J Broughton
> stressed, and in this case you are out of luck for the IDE lot. But not
> with SCSI.
>
> The original system is the 7.5.3. I went up to 9.2.2 through each
> update/upgrade that was launched. I even had the BeOS (2 and 3) and some
> Linux installed in it for some time. Awesome entertainment.

Hm, this is what I thought but after 9.1 it was a bit more fussy to get
working I read.

All newer systems will install through retail System CDs (8, 8.1, 8.5,
> 8.6, 9, 9.1, 9.2) and run normally. Some machine bundled software will
> be of course left out (GeoPort/Teleport modem software, MegaPhone,
> Claris, Dictionaries etc.).

If I could get my hands on an original retail install disc.

> In time, G3/G4 original CDs WILL NOT INSTALL in your 603e PPC. The
> system enablers are different and are burned into the disc. Holding
> SHIFT is not a workaround.

More things to know.

Take the PRAM battery out. It is better left off instead of having a
> low-charge one that may lead to erratic hardware behavior.

Yeah I will do that eventually.

Remember the keys to startup from the SCSI chain:
> COMMAND-OPTION-SHIFT-DELETE

Thanks johnsinho.

--
God bless,