Re: [NTLK] Is iPod Touch the Newtons future?

From: John Chu <johnchu_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 06:22:21 EST

> Don't know how its going to work without a stylus though. Must feel
> really
> strange writing with your fingernail all the time?

A friend of mine has WritePad on his Touch. He downloaded it mostly
because it's free, not because he does much writing on his Touch.

I tried it out for a minute or so. Yes, you write out words with your
finger. (Note: not your fingernail. The capacitive touchscreen doesn't
require very much pressure.) I honestly don't see why this is an
issue. Writing with my finger feels very natural to me. However, I've
been doing something like to, especially in Chinese to work out stroke
counts, for years. (The Chinese handwriting recognition built into the
Touch is pretty awesome, IMHO.)

The handwriting recognition works whether you write out words
normally, or write all the letters on top of each other. It seemed
fairly accurate. However, I didn't try it out for very long. Also,
WritePad was more of a proof of concept than anything else. The
products you actually have to pay for may be more impressive.

Of course, because OSX walls off all applications from all other
applications, you can only use the handwriting recognition within
WritePad. e.g., you can't replace Apple's virtual keyboard systemwide.
This makes it less useful than it otherwise might be. However,
Phatware can't do anything about that.

                                                john