Re: [NTLK] Typical Newton Third Party Apps

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney_at_gcsu.edu>
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 13:02:26 EST

On Jan 31, 2009, at 12:54 AM, Tony Kan wrote:

> It'd be nice if you could post your video for all to see when its
> finished.
> Sorry can't help with the high res images but Adam Tow of
> www.tow.com was a
> legendary software developer for the Newton and is also a dab hand
> with a
> camera. Perhaps he can help with your project.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tony

I'll be happy to post it for all to see/download when and if it gets
done. I'm on a tight schedule preparing for a conference on mobile
learning late February called ConnectEd summit. Although we'll be
focusing on newer devices such as the iPhone and iPod touch, I wanted
to pay tribute to the contributions made by the Newton Message Pad by
doing a side-by-side or some other kind of comparison. This clip may
also serve as a poke in Apple's ribs because it will illustrate how
having a good emulator makes the development of screencasts that
enhance and clarify the conversation about these devices so much easier.

My efforts to make good quality screencasts of the iPhone and iPod
touch in action have been far less than satisfactory. Apple's iPhone
Simulator is lame beyond description so I have had to go to the
trouble of jailbreaking a 1G iPod touch and installing a VNC server on
it to broadcast the UI in action w/o a fist of flying fingers getting
in the way. Unfortunately, that 400 Mhz Arm processor isn't able to
do this job very well and, so, the VNC output gets blocky and won't
show videos playing at all. Wasn't there a way to output the Newton
UI for video capture? I believe I've seen a such a video somewhere.

Some of the comments received so far have me thinking that historical
accuracy may not be as important as I thought. Perhaps it would be
better to show the Newton using the internet via WiFi with web
browser, email client, etc. and showing file transfer/synching via
Bluetooth. Thoughts on that are most welcome.

Here's a little screen test of the Newton via Einstein emulator:

http://hercules.gcsu.edu/~flowney/screencasts/Newton_Screen_Test.001.mov

Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
     Senior Director for External Projects
        and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @
Georgia College
     Web Enabled Resources,
     GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
     E-Mail: frank.lowney@gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney@me.com
     Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate
most effectively via e-mail. Follow-up summaries of telephone
conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.