[NTLK] going Back as Newton user

From: Raphael Coiman <racsr05551_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 14:12:11 EST

> I've been following this discussion for over a year just to continue
> being amazed with the living world of Newton Users; a community who
> keeps the Newton alive and up-to-date regardless how many iPods,
> iPhones and many other devices are booming on daily basis. I have an
> upgraded Newton 2100 still sitting on a side of my desktop because
> often I need to go back to the data stored in it.

> After the Newton collapse at Apple, I continues with my Newton for
> 3-4 more years but in the road I was dragged to acquire a Palm
> device to cover my needs somehow which was never in the same manner
> as the Newton did. Recently my Palm Tx crashed, I had a backup dated
> 10 months ago (shame on me) and after I did a hard restart because
> of a looping restart that suddenly happened to my Palm, I lost a lot
> of data which I could only partially recover from the old back-up.
> However the Palm remained with a unusable digitizer (not showing the
> are where to write nor the bottom row of buttons) and according to
> the Palm forums. it will require to replace the digitizer; who know
> what will follow later if I repair this.

> My particular Palm Tx, although one of the latest and more expensive
> models sold by Palm no more than 2 years ago, has been extensively
> reported in the forums by the "Palm community" for having so many
> flaws, hardware defects and failures for. Palm Inc. no longer
> supports this PDA because now concentrates in the developing of
> wannabe iPhones.

> Having a PDA partially functional, I think, it is time for me to go
> back to my trusted Newton.

So, I need the help of this community so I can put back my Newton into
function. This is what I have:
Newton with all original Newton software and Notion (data base app)
and Newtscape as this part apps. I think I had a a demo for Tibet
(imaging software) that I need a key to unlock and all accessories. I
use NiMh rechargeable AA batts., have the dongle and charger. I have 1
or 2 old PCIMA (?) cards of few Mb as they use to be at that time, One
modem card (33Kb/sec), the original pen and carrying case. I also have
the Keyspan adapter Serial to USB. I have the Newton original software
CD's too.

Despite that all the information might be present in the UNNA forum
archives, I just have no time to browse back on it. The last time I
was intending into upgrading my Newton, Paul Guyot was working on the
new memory card compatibility thing so we could use the new type of
storage cards with the Newton; I do not know where all this ended.
I've read about an "Einstein" s/w but I don't know what is it all about.

I work with Macs running Mac OSX 10.5t (Leopard) and an old iMac CRT
running OS 9. I understand that there are programs in order to
synchronize the Newton with the Mac OSX+ and I just need precise
instructions on these issues:

1.- What piece of software do I need to instal on my Mac and or Newton
to pair, install and back-up my device?
2.- What do I need to purchase to increase the memory storage? Are
there in the market all fashion cards with about 1 Gb or more that fit
the Newton?
3.- What piece of s/w/ I need to handle new cards?
4.- What do I need to connect wireless to WiFi (Airport ant home and
other networks elsewhere)?
5.- Has anything being developed or adapted in order to connect via
BlueTooth with the Newton?
6.- Is Notions still supported?
7.- Are there any new Internet browsers or e-Mail client capable to
handle the present time type of emails? What do I need?
9.- Is Apple still repairing Newtons or are there other people doing so?
10.- Where can I find more info and resources to go back with my
Newton and enjoy it with peace of mind?

I apologize for the length of this e-mail but I sincerely hope that
somebody (please!) could set the time and help me with my questions.

Thank you very much:
Raphael A. Coiman

my e-mail: racsr05551@mac.com