[NTLK] Happy Adoption of the Declaration of Independence Text Day! NMC/OT

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 04 2009 - 11:35:59 EDT

I received this in a forwarded info-the-world message. Since I don't
like to send these things on, I just copied the link from the message.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1221321706636&source=jl999

As to the subject line, the 13 colonies declared Independence on July 2,
1776. John Adams said that day should be commemorated with fireworks,
orations, etc. Two days later on July 4th, the text of the Declaration
of Independence was approved and it was signed by John Hancock.

What is on display in the National Archives is the engrossed copy that
was sign on August 2, 1776. Many of the signers weren't in Philadelphia
(or even elected to the Continental Congress) on July 4th.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney