Re: [NTLK] [FS] Free Beige PowerMacs G3 Minitowers to a Newton home

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 21:43:34 EDT

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Morgan
Aldridge<morgant@makkintosshu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Grant Hutchinson<grant@splorp.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 7, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Tony D'Alfonso wrote:
>>
>>> Andrei, you're exactly right - UPS gouges and calls it "brokerage".
>>> On the
>>> duties issue though, NAFTA did wipe them out until our provincial and
>>> federal governments decided that imports require charging PST and
>>> GST, (not)
>>> respectively!
>>
>> I'll second the vote to avoid UPS at all costs. (No pun intended.)
>>
>> Regarding sales tax, the trick is to mark those packages as "obsolete
>> computer parts" with a very low value. You only pay GST/PST on the
>> value of the shipment. The downside to this is not being able to
>> properly insure the item for the actual value. Since Morgan's Macs are
>> essentially free, that shouldn't be an issue in this case.
>
> Good call everyone! I'll quote USPS for those across the northern border.

Does it sound correct that USPS offers a flat-rate (depending on
weight, of course) to Canada? They seem to list $75 (not including
packaging, naturally) for a 33lb via Priority Mail International
package going over the border.

Is $95 USD even reasonable to anyone up there?

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/