Re: [NTLK] Dare / plea

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 - 06:41:55 EDT

David

I understand your frustration. In my experience, there was a certain amount of
trial and error. Even now with a relatively stable set up, on occasion I have
to reboot my wireless router because it inexplicably stops letting my Newton
through.

My biggest issue when networking with the Newton for the first time was its
interaction with the firewall software. I had to get myself up the learning
curve in understanding the jargon used by the firewall product I was using
(Zonealarm, at the time). I set up the Newton to be on a particular IP address,
and configured the firewall product to accept that address and then voila it
worked! It took a few hours spread over a couple of weeks to sort it out
though.

As a hobbyist, if you value the journey as much as the end, then stick at it. I
learnt a lot about local area networks and how the internet dealt with device
addressing through this project.

Cheers

Tony

[snip]
I have posted in the past, but only, I believe, to ask for advice on
connecting my MP2100s wirelessly. Unfortunately, the advice I
received, although very well intended and kindly offered, tended to be
very much of the "this is my setup" type: nobody seemed to know the
full story. Understandable, given the time that Newton has been out of
development and the lack of any real commercial support. Have now
simply given up.

I still read the messages every day, however, but look forward to the
time when I shall be able to catalogue and sell all that I have.

David
[snip]