Re: [NTLK] More MacPad Rumors

From: Riccardo Mori <rick_at_poc.it>
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 06:51:28 EDT

quoth Dan:

> As for why Apple has not done a tablet, as it was recently posted it
> is
> likely because they just don't don't see enough of a market share.
> When
> they have a product that will sell like the ipod or iphone, they will
> release it.

I agree. The main problem I see with this purported 9.7" Apple tablet
is not engineering- or manufacturing-wise, but marketing-wise. With
millions of iPhones / iPod touches sold, how to position, how to sell
this 'tablet' in numbers? What can this tablet have to convince me, an
iPhone owner, to buy it and use it alongside the iPhone? Size is not
enough. It doesn't matter if, for example, it makes for an easier
browsing or eBook reading -- I already browse fine and I have no
problems with eBook reading on my iPhone.

iPhone and iPod touch sales are very healthy on one side, and MacBook
sales are equally healthy on the other. Where would this purported
tablet fit? Could it negatively affect other Apple portable products?
In my opinion one viable option would be to 'force' Mac users toward
it, for example by discontinuing the cheaper white MacBook and
positioning this tablet as the new entry-level ultraportable device.
Otherwise it's difficult for me to see why who already owns a MacBook/
MacBook Pro and/or an iPhone should be willing to buy an Apple tablet,
whatever the appeal.

Cheers,
Rick

System Folder - The Platinum Days