Re: [NTLK] credit where it's due, was: More MacPad Rumors

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 10:43:58 EDT

~~~ On 2009/07/13 23:56, Peter Fraser at pjfraser@mac.com wrote ~~~

> Are we're also here in this forum because of Reagan, Bush #1, and Clinton,
> since they were the overall leaders during that time period. Who was the UN
> General Secretary back then, Boutros-Boutros Ghali?

Well if you want to go that route, we're also here because of our parents,
grand-parents, etc., because of those circumstances under which all our
forebears met and conceived, the whole range of geopolitical and other
circumstances that determined who lived and who died in each generation
...all the way back through the various climatic and ecological events over
vast millenia and eventually, back into that great Point Of Controversy
(which we must NOT get into here, lest we violate the forum rules!): do we
end up thanking the blind processes of evolution, a creator, some
combination of the two, or just throw up our hands and say "whatever"?

Oops, almost forgot: :-)

Just so no one takes that last bit so seriously it turns into something
innappropriate or divisive.

But to be a little serious, surely the Newton is too big a thing to credit
to any one person. The only thing I'm sure of is that we *can't* thank
Steve Jobs for the Newton. It's plain that he didn't invent or push it
before he left. And it doesn't matter what motives we attribute to him (and
I've heard this argument so often I no longer care): the fact remains that
when he came back one of his priorities seems to have been to kill off the
Newton. And since he's been back, the only indications I'm aware of are
those which say that Apple won't be producing another Newton unless it's
over his dead body, so to speak.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl