Re: [NTLK] Off Subject Apple(Doesn't)Care

From: Miro Copic <miroc_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 17:02:52 EDT

On Jul 16, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Morgan Aldridge wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:23 PM, D. Matt Dair<dmdair@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have purchased 5 new Macs and 4 iPods over the last 10 years. All
>> with AppleCare. On 3 previous occasion I have had units serviced
>> under
>> the plan without issue, so I cannot say all my experiences with
>> AppleCare have been bad. I do have to say that this experience my
>> make
>> me rethink investing in Applecare contracts.
>
> I'm sorry to hear about your MacBook troubles.
>
> I'd highly suggest _not_ paying the $800+ and having them just return
> the MacBook. It's very likely that you'll be able to bring it to a
> local Apple Authorized Repair Center and have them perform the repair,
> sans the display swap (more on that later), without sending it to
> Apple. Many repair centers will keep parts such as displays stocked in
> case of emergency or may have a parts machine with a good display that
> they could install without ordering that part from Apple. I would
> think the rest of the repair should be covered under the AppleCare.
>
> A local repair center will be able to honor the AppleCare warranty and
> also give you a second opinion on whether it's accidental user damage
> (hopefully not). In the past, I've seen some LCD pressure issues be
> caused by tight/defective hinges, but I don't know if that's possible
> with MacBooks.

Yes, but if the display is, actually, damaged by a pressure/accident, no
local AppleCare service will be able to replace it under warranty, and -
as such - the part cannot be replaced under the exchange price either
(lower
than "retail").
All major parts have to go back to Apple, and they are
checked upon arrival. Your local Apple service provider will be charged
full retail price if a damaged part is replaced under warranty.

Best, M.