Re: [NTLK] [OT?] Spam?

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 19 2009 - 18:18:05 EDT

Hello,

--- On Sun, 7/19/09, John Chu <johnchu@acm.org> wrote:

> > The US Postal System?
>
> Because Federal Express and UPS can get a 1 ounce letter
> across the country from one doorstep to another in within a week for
> $0.44.

That's actually a pretty disingenuous example, seeing as how the USPS enjoys a monopoly on First Class Mail. IOW: no private carrier is allowed to deliver it; only the USPS can by Act of Congress.

Unless and until the USPS gives up its current monopoly on First Class Mail, we'll never know what the private sector can or cannot do with it in the present day. And I'm confident the USPS won't be relinquishing that monopoly anytime soon, seeing as how UPS and FedEx have demonstrated an ability to deliver packages at competitive rates. I doubt they're going to be afforded the opportunity to try to do the same thing with First Class Mail. :)

Incidentally, that USPS monopoly came about because, in 1844, a fellow by the name of Lysander Spooner created the American Letter Mail Company. And, yes, he *did* deliver the mail reliably and more cheaply than the USPS did. In fact, he started his firm out of frustration with the high rates and poor service of the USPS of the time.

Needless to say, the Post Office was not pleased at having to compete with a private firm, as competition introduces pressure to lower costs and improve service. Since the USPS couldn't seem to achieve this, (they lost lots of money when they refused to lower their prices to match his) they sought to "outcompete" him through legislative means. Their monopoly on First Class Mail that continues to the present day was a result of their legislative (rather than competitive) efforts.

Sorry to sound so pedantic, but when people make comparisons between the private sector and a government entity, I feel it's only fair that they're comparing apples to apples. :)

Best,

James Fraser