Re: [NTLK] OT Palm Pre

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Jul 21 2009 - 12:33:37 EDT

I am surprised this is even being debated. Calling the iPhone a multi-tasking OS because a few apps run in the background is inaccurate. For instance, a webpage will not continue to load in Safari if you exit it; a video will not continue to upload to YouTube if you exit the Camera app before it is finished uploading... third party apps also don't run in the background.

Apple has even stated that they did not infuse background processes or multi-tasking, whatever you want to label it, into the iPhone because it reduced battery life by up to ~80%.

The iPhone is a one trick pony, and many users, including myself, criticize it for not being a truly multi-tasking OS. But of course I would not want it as such if battery life would be reduced by that much. However, several pundits have said that Apple is sort of providing us with falsities as battery life would be acceptable if they made the OS multi-tasking.

At any rate, having read some of the reviews of the Pre, one by a former iPhone owner, he said that he felt sorry for his iPhone after he used his Pre because the Pre's multi-tasking OS blows the iPhone's OS away.

The Pre gets criticized for many other things, but its OS is being touted as something better than the iPhones. In my case, after using an iPhone for 2 years, I still really like it but don't like the non-multitasking capabilities, especially now that we have so many apps.

Ryan