Re: [NTLK] [OT -- for sure] Spam e-mail spam filtering for SMB's

From: Stephen Rudy <srudy_at_cudc.org>
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 15:12:08 EDT

The organization I work for only operates in a single state in the USA, so I am able to block out large chunks of internationally sourced internet traffic right at the firewall(s).

Blocking all of the /8 APNIC networks reduced my spam about 50%. Never-the-less, about 70% of the email messages bound for my e-mail server are still flagged as spam every day. I can't imagine corporate life without my efforts to protect our users from e-mail spam.

I estimate we spend 5k/year on e-mail spam reduction. (not counting my time/salary.)

-S
(Network Engineer)