Re: [NTLK] Apple Tablet Probably Imminent

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 17:21:33 EDT

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Ryan Vetter<physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> There is no question Apple has been working on a tablet for years.

I think it would be more apt to say they've been playing with the
concept for years. But that wouldn't be surprising. The question is,
will it ever become a genuine product. This is what I don't see. The
key is, however, to have something, should tablets ever take off--be
ready out of the gate--that's what the work is all about, not for a
genuine product, per se, but to be prepared. I would think less of
Apple, were they not doing this. This still doesn't mean it will come
to market. I suspect, also, that this thing is capable of being
repurposed quickly--a super e-reader, a super remote for your AppleTV,
or a MID, or a PDA, or whatnot. Depending on what suddenly takes off,
Apple is ready within months. That's my thinking, hence all the
rumors. But I just don't see the market for any of these right now.
The Kindle is not doing as well as hoped (especially after this week's
fiasco), and none of the other devices are--and I don't think it's
interface, or whatnot. People just aren't buying them--and does Apple
really want to get into licensing issues with yet another industry?
MIDs aren't taking off--though the CrunchPad seems to have some
pent-up demand. The AppleTV/Remote seems the most likely to me. Apple
surely must know that people will attempt to hack this into a genuine
tablet, so without targeting it, and by targeting the TV market, they
can kill two birds with one stone--since the TV is already still just,
in Steve's words, 'a hobby', it would fit, be allowed to be
experimental, and also a bit of a hacker's paradise. Tell me you
wouldn't want to try to run Einstein on it. ;-)

Those are my thoughts, and I'm standing by them. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland