Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 21:34:38 EDT

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM, David Neale<david.neale@telenet.be> wrote:

> This I do not understand.
>
> As I indicate in the webpage, the AirPort is connected to the ADSL
> Router. How, then, is it "not actually on the Internet"?

Sorry, that reply was made without taking into account the information
about your ADSL router. See my second reply:
(http://newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2009-07/0613.html):

> Oops, I missed the table of info returned from your ADSL router.
>
> It's got an IP of 192.168.1.1, so is it providing DHCP to your other
> machines? It is if they're getting IPs in the 192.168.1.x range and
> are set by DHCP.
>
> If they are, then you'll want to do the following:
>
> 1) Disable sharing a single IP in the AirPort (that way you don't have
> double-NAT which might cause some issues) by going to the "Network"
> tab an unchecking the "Distribute IP addresses" checkbox. Then save
> the settings, of course.
> 2) Then make sure that the AirPort is plugged into your router via the
> Ethernet (<••>) port, as opposed to the WAN (the little dotted circle)
> port to make sure it's properly picking up DHCP from your router.
>
> It should then get an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range and it
> should be able to pass DHCP through to devices on the WiFi.
>
> This'll get you on the right path, but it'll likely take more
> troubleshooting, so let us know how it goes.

If your AirPort is in fact getting a self-assigned IP address
(169.254.x.x, as shown in your screenshots) then I'd be highly
surprised if anything was able to get online when connected through
it. Also, having double network address translation (NAT; once in your
router and then a second time in your AirPort) by having your AirPort
also share a single IP address is likely to cause you even further
problems.

Once you have your AirPort configured in such a way so that we're sure
it's not introducing major problems into your underlying network and
wireless network, then we can start to specify settings on your
Newton.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com