Re: [NTLK] Apple Tablet Probably Imminent

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 16:14:53 EDT

On Jul 25, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Paul Nuernberger wrote:

> Just my $.02 US but I would bet on a Mac netbook over a Mac tablet,
> based upon 1) the languishing (dying?) tablet market, and 2)the
> growing
> demand in the mobile-connected netbook market.

I'm guessing that you're right. Netbooks are the most popular
"hackintoshes" — if people are putting that much effort into getting
OS X netbooks they'll probably pay for them too.

Fantasy land: Does anyone remember the Vadem Clio? I thought that was
the perfect fusion of tablet computing and what has now been called
netbooks. The operating system of course left something to be desired,
but I've often wondered why no one has revisited that form factor.

(for those that don't remember the Clio, it was a Windows CE device
with a 8" wide 6" tall screen that swiveled on a pivot arm that
connected to the sides of the screen so that the device could be used
as a tablet with the keyboard stowed behind the screen, or as a laptop
with the keyboard positioned below the screen. It had the Paragraph
HWR system and a stylus.)

For whatever faults the Clio had, the design was terrificly versatile
and blew away the idea that tablet computing meant throwing away the
keyboard (which is a very strange notion that people seem to hang on
to.)

Steve