Re: [NTLK] eMate overclocked

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 14:03:10 EDT

I had one of those Desoldering kits in the Army. I worked on Jammers and
those things were the first to go. We either used solder wicking or the
solder bang method. Yeah, I did it too. I didn't recommend it for the Newton
as I didn't know if it was tough enough. Big old MilSpec boards were no
problem though. So on the heavy (read high voltage and high current) stuff
it was solder bang. On the logic circuits we used wicking. But I agree with
Ed, those things look cool but are not particularly useful. Plus, do you
know how long you have to wait for that big ol' assembly to get hot enough
to melt solder?

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Ed Kummel wrote:
<snip>
Have you ever tried one of those? You gotta have 3 or 4 hands with 11
fingers on each hand!
You have to hold the board in one hand. That takes all available fingers on
that hand.
With the other hand, you have to hold the soldering iron in a precision
manner on the board, with at least 2 fingers depressing the de-soldering
bulb. Try this without pulling up the pad...then you need to release the
bulb fast enough to allow the bulb to suck up the melted solder...not an
easy task...I like to use a plunger type solder sucker for my tougher
desoldering issues.
<snip>