Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Jun 13 2009 - 03:26:15 EDT

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM, James
Fraser<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's funny you should say that because, to the best of my knowledge, Apple did not actually start the PDA product category.  Sure, Sculley coined the term, but Apple was not actually first-to-market with a PDA device: the EO Communicator 440/880 was released in April 1993, while the OMP didn't hit the market until August of that year.

Those earlier devices were nothing more than address books and
calendars, with some notes ability. As such, it's hard to call them a
personal digital _assistant_ in the same vein as the Newton was. The
Newton truly did make life easier, and was not merely a container of
information. It allowed you to _use_ it, and it worked with you. Also,
due to the SDK and NewtonScript, it was expandable, opening the door
for third-party developers, both software and hardware, and truly
spawned both the market, and spurred the imagination of what was
possible. The earlier products did none of this, so while they may
seem similar on the surface, in reality, they were a world apart.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland