Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Sun Jun 14 2009 - 19:36:29 EDT

On Jun 14, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Reilly001os@aol.com wrote:

> Jon,
> Well said. Organizer does not equal Assistant to me either. An
> organizer simply organizes things while an assistant intelligently
> helps you with your work beyond just holding your organized stuff.

Interesting. I guess I never thought of the Newton as an assistant, or
as being intelligent in any way except being well-designed to give me
the best chance of using what meager intelligence I have. "Organizer"
was only one part of it. It was my mobile workstation. I never used it
in the way described earlier, but I've never had any pressing need to
keep track of the length of my phone calls.

I'm still unclear about what is "intelligent" about Assist. It's a
command-line interface to a very finite number of pre-scripted tasks.
If you want to do something slightly different than the progression of
tasks it gives for you, aren't you out of luck?

OTOH, don't take my "command-line interface to pre-scripted tasks" as
being too damning. Quicksilver on the Mac is quickly becoming one of
my favorite enhancements, and that's largely what Quicksilver is.

Steve