Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Jun 14 2009 - 21:23:36 EDT

I find that to be an interesting comment. I have slowly been moving away
from my beloved Newton. I did this very systematically. I created a note and
every time I used an app in my Newton other than the basic organizer
functions I wrote it down. In the mean time I acquired a Nokia 770. I
started examining the various apps and options. Eventually I fond a Nokia
app for every function I used my Newton for. As for the organizer app, I
chose Garnet VM, which is the Palm OS made to run as a virtual machine on a
Nokia Internet Tablet. I now have browser, email and IM that work with the
latest standards WPA and SSL. I have Bluetooth for talking to my GPS and a
cloth keyboard. My Garnet VM syncs with Outlook flawlessly. I can read pdf
files, word docs and Excel spreadsheets. I can view jpg's and avi files. And
listen to MP3's and wav files (important because my home voicemail comes to
me via email as wav file attachments. As much as I like my Newton and look
at it sadly, wishing it still did the trick, The Nokia is just better at
modern internet and syncing.

Oddly enough, the to apps hardest to replace, The Message and SkyGuide.
Eventually someone compiled Rapier or the Nokia and I found Planetarium for
the Palm which runs fine in the Garnet VM.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Joe Reilly wrote:
<snip>
Do we even need to talk about the palm OS? Lol
<snip>