Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iPhones/iPhone OS 3.0

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 04:47:17 EDT

On Jun 14, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Reilly001os@aol.com wrote:

> I tried quick silver on my laptop for adding tags in the spotlight
> comment field but the add on for that didn't work to my liking so I
> found an app called tagbot that tags and then manages/keeps track of
> all tags you've applied (which QS didn't). I haven't had time to try
> the other functions in QS but they do look to have Assist potential
> from what I read about them. (so I can't really answer your question
> about my use of assist compared to QS as I haven't used QS enough)

I'm not familiar with tagging features in Quicksilver, so I'm not
convinced we're talking about the same product. Might be my ignorance
tho.

The Quicksilver I'm referring to is basically an application launcher
that pops up from a keyboard command (I use Command-space since I find
Spotlight annoying in the non-windowed form.) I use it like this: CMD-
space, then type a few letters of a persons name until QS shows me
that person from the address book, then tab to get at options and type
M (for mail) and enter.

On one level it's just a keystroke-based launcher, but taking it out
of the keystroke context and narrating the information I give it
sounds something like "Bob, mail." and it grabs the information from
one context and passes it to an action in another application. It's
keystroke-based for speed and efficiency, not intuitiveness.

That's the sort of thing I'm asking about whether it's what you do
with Assist: give information and commands from different contexts and
let the device issue the commands for you. Am I understanding it?

Thanks,

Steve