Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V9 #256

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Mon Jun 15 2009 - 17:31:07 EDT

* iPhone users Phil Muller <wndrstrck@gmail.com> & "Dennis B. Swaney"
<romad@aol.com> then fired back at Matt as follows:
> Wow, aren't you just the epitome of maturity.
> The iPhone is the 21st Century Newton

I, like Matt, thought all these iPhone posts were a bit off-topic as there
currently is no way to use a pen (a finger is not a stylus nor a 100%
substitute for one) on the iPhone or use Newton software directly (natively)
on the iPhone. Hence, even though the iPhone is technically better in many
respects than the Newton, it is certainly NOT a Newton and therefore, unless
this list is renamed to include "iPhone" I personally side with Matt in
feeling that this list should not be "dominated" by iPhone chit chat. But
like all topics on this list, the iPhone chit chat will die down over time,
so I am not really that bent out of shape about it. I get bent out of shape
over infighting among our list members.

Nevertheless, I do wish to stand in defense of the basic premise of Matt's
post, which is not evil in and of itself. However, it can be said that all
3 parties involved could have exercised greater restraint in their recently
posts.

Matt, I have two suggestions for you:

1) " douchey " is not in my dictionary and clearly you fanned the flames by
your use of that word. The first thing that comes to mind when pondering
that adjective are female hygienic products, which clearly have no place on
this list. Had you used greater patience in composing your message and
avoided that one word, more people might have chimed in to agree with you
and certainly fewer flames would have resulted -- but of course I do not say
this in defense of the flames.

2) I too get the Digest. Even though I use Entourage and can filter
individual emails into their own folder, I prefer to have one beefy email
every day, like you Matt. Long live the Digest! HOWEVER!! With the
exception of this email (in order to keep the thread name intact), I always
take the time to create a proper Subject line when replying to my NewtonTalk
Digests. Otherwise, you get "[NTLK] newtontalk Digest V9 #256" which is not
helpful for those of us reading the Digest to "digest" what is inside when
we briefly review the topic list at the top. Personally, I quickly scan the
Digest topics each morning and if I don't see a topic that interests me, I
just trash the entire digest. I couldn't do that today because some topics
said "[NTLK] newtontalk Digest V9 #256"! Indeed, my time taken in scrolling
down the digest to see what the topic was really about inspired me to make
this post today.

Sincerely,

James Wages