Re: [NTLK] Overclocking or Coding or Something (was RE: OT iPhone => (Formerly: newtontalk Digest V9 #256) )

From: Phil Muller <wndrstrck_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 10:09:01 EDT

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 2:50 AM, <Reilly001os@aol.com> wrote:

> I didn't get the poutine talk myself as I had to wikipedia poutine...

Poutine is great stuff, many different varieties to choose from in
fact, most of them though are the cholesterol bullet type. I liken it
to Irish coffee the two main ingredients have a counter balancing
measure of sorts. Anyone who's eaten cheese knows what I am talking
about. Without the gravy, enough poutine can stop anyone dead in their
tracks.

> With the newts already great battery life what do you have planned for your little green friend that you need more hours? I'd like to here about this newt GPS feat your planning if you'd care to share?

It does have a great battery life, I just want to make it better for
certain tasks that require less power. I want an option to run my newt
at 80mhz give or take a few, so that when reading or data logging
(maybe?) I can run it for even greater battery run times. I plan on
writing some software to allow me to collect and plot gps way points
graphically when using a metal detector; so I am not backtracking over
previously covered areas.

I also plan on taking a couple week kayak trip in the future and will
require my newt to have really long run times. I am making a specific
battery pack for "ridiculous" run times but that's an altogether
different project.

I think that the project I have cooked up will allow me to have the
best of both worlds. Changing a clock crystal in a 2100 presents a
couple of issues I want to exploit and make work to my advantage. When
people first started to over clock there newts a choice had to be
made, about how the switch would operate, well unless you went with a
permanent change; ouch! No serial, and communication bus went all
screwy. I have heard of minor successes getting cards to work at
220mhz not something I want to waste time on. Therefore using a switch
allows you to return to normal clock speed for these functions, alas
when using said switch you have to decide which kind to use. One type
of switch allows both crystals to run at same time when changing on or
off status, scary idea indeed. The other is, no crystal selected until
switch has been repositioned. I then realized an under clocking
provided the most options of all then. If I find the right clock
crystal for under clocking I can run the system at all three speeds
without the worry of causing damage to my newt.

I just really have this obsession with making my devices last as long
as possible!