Re: [NTLK] iPhone obsession

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 19 2009 - 07:58:49 EDT

~~~ On 2009/06/19 09:28, jg at dotline7@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> The Iphone hate is not a hate. It is disappointment with Apple strategies.
>
> They don't develop the best PDA, it is disappointing. Iphone is too
> "attractive". More operetta less stringent PDA/mobile phone with best human
> interface. The same problem is lack of OS X tablet or HWR. I feel it this
> way.
>
> We, members of the list, feel that "Newton" like device is necessary for
> further development or a human race. It should be only a few decisions away.
> But decisions don't come. So, we are disappointed and don't accept half way
> solutions. This way of thinking could be a problem, too. Every-time I want
> to change a mobile phone or a laptop I find it difficult to get something
> really interesting. The mainstream products are not very exciting.

Wow! Thanks John. This is what I've been trying to find a way to say --
the first half of it at least -- but with certain personal and work issues
just now, I couldn't quite formulate it. That word, "disappointed ...
disappointed".

As for the last paragraph, well, I'm known in my circles as a pretty
enthusiastic, even fanatical Newtonian, but "necessary for further
development or [sic -- for "of"?] a human race"? Even I've never quite gone
that far yet.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it ... ;-)

But that word "disappointed", used twice, that's really said it for me. I'm
disappointed with the iPhone. My first disappointment is because it
represents a huge falling off from what Apple already achieved with the
2100: They're asking us to settle now for something that in some important
ways is less than they gave us 12 years ago -- a lot like (IMO) when they
bought up SoundJam and gelded it into iTunes.

My second disappointment is that I can (and do) go to An Other Company and
get smartphones that are better equipped (except for that cool UI) than the
iPhone. And even that cool UI is less than unique now. The addition of
phone capabilities fulfills the promise of the 2100 that's not very well
hidden in the case, so the feebleness of the phone after all this time is
disappointing.

And locking the iPhone to a particular provider? Come on! That's so
old-fashioned and, at least for people like me so inconsiderate of my needs
from a mobile phone, as to be a deal breaker by itself. I can't be bothered
to buy from someone with that attitude.

Of course this is (like so much else) a matter of taste and opinion. But as
I've been trying to understand the viewpoint of iPhone users, the result has
helped me to clarify some of my own thoughts on this. I still see myself
owning an iPhone one day -- perhaps. But it would have to be something very
different not only from what the iPhone is this week, but very different
from the apparent course of development being laid down for it by Apple.

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl