Re: [NTLK] [Poll] Newton College Users

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 10:33:18 EDT

I do it like you do. Full rec, small print, print every word on a new line.
I don't write cursive I print. It is a left handed thing coupled with a few
years working as an old paper, pencil and straight edge draftsman. This
works for me quite well. I have done religious retreats where we had 50
minute long seminars with ten minute breaks for nine and ten hours per day.
Each Seminar gets its own note. The ten minute break is good for the
restroom, a drink and look over clean up my notes. They become a permanent
record after that.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/
http://SantaMatt.blogspot.com

Jon Glass wrote:
<snip>
Actually, my experience has been the opposite. I always recognize
right away, and when taking notes, I have everything cramped really
small (letter/word space, and time to recognize). What makes it work
is the realization that you don't need to write everything neatly on
one line. when I'm going full blast, I write in any and every nook and
cranny I can find, even if there's only room for one word. Also, I
don't worry about corrections. Paul's alt.rec catches them for me, so
they are easier to find later. As soon afterwards as I can, I do a
review of the notes, and make corrections then. Now, I haven't done
class notes this way--only seminars, but I've gone through four or
five lectures in a row, doing this. The only downside of outlines is
that sometimes, your text goes in the wrong place. I just do a scrub
out, re-position the cursor, and keep going. It's always done well for
me.
<snip>