Re: [NTLK] [OT] It's MS-DOS 6.22 day!

From: Mike Rodgers <pmiker_at_copper.net>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2009 - 21:10:09 EDT

Yes, the market would be different. I remember a DOS enhancement called
Desqview that gave you multiple virtual screens. Much like KDE in
Linux. I remember a TI touch screen PC. I remember seeing Commodore
Amiga's used for video production long before fancier systems came to
be. I remember Visicalc being the must-have app. I also know that to
create DOS, Microsoft had to borrow from CPM and Unix. Most of the
shortcuts now seen in MS-Word started in Wordstar. The new features in
MS's email came from WordPerfect Groupwise. I remember when MS stole
technology from Stac Electronics to create Doublespace (or doubledisk?)
which compressed a hard drive to gain more disk space. (Yes, they were
sued and did lose on that one.) I could go on.

It took a company like Microsoft and a man like Bill Gates to steal all
the ideas and claim them for his own and then to scream Piracy! They do
not care if they lose a lawsuit as long as the competition goes away.

Now everyone must use the same OS with the same apps. For every
advancement in hardware, the new MS OS will slow it down so much you
don't gain anything. Just more features you won't use and more money in
MS's pocket.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion.