Re: [NTLK] Emate Battery Rebuild Tips

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 20:12:03 EST

I have had best luck when I take the time to use fine sandpaper to
clean all surfaces to be soldered and "tin" each surface with the
lowest temp solder that my local Radio Shack offers including the temp
device you mention.

I connect and test two Batteries lengthwise, then lay them in the
correct orientation and squeeze hot melt glue lengthwise and roll the
pairs together so that the glue goes between them. Now a single wrap
of 2" reinforced plastic tape around the center makes a pretty tight
and rigid pack. Thermistor slides under this tape and the ends
solder fairly quickly, first temp switch and test voltage and finally
red and black wires.
I find that a single wrap of electrical tape that overlaps the paper
end covers, holds the pack together pretty well.
I always remove the spring clips from the battery sleeve before
inserting the pack.
Shrink wrap is a nice professional touch but not necessary for the do
it your selfer.

Be careful of cold solder joints as this can result in poor
performance and failure.

Woody