Re: [NTLK] Intriguing Error

From: R A Parker <Quadzillanet_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 18:00:01 EDT

On Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 3:24 am Oliver Leaman wrote:

> Right now my set up
> does not stipulate a port after the
> server's name, but it works fine despite
> that, sometimes, and also requires a
> password. Do you think if I added :587
> that would improve things?

Port :587 helps me, here in the U.S. (and apparently Canada, too) because many ISPs (including Yahoo) will block the standard SMTP Port 25. This is done to prevent outside (as well as inside) access, to ad-hoc SMTP mail servers, to/from unauthorized (zombied) PC's. Spyware infested computers can (and do) run their own rogue SMTP servers for relaying SPAM.

SPAMware writers are very adaptive. The Port thingy may not impede their efforts much, anymore... now-a-days. However, your ISP may still use an alternate SMTP Port policy.

> frustrating since if it never worked
> then I would just not bother with it,
> but since sometimes it does and
> sometimes not

Another ISP Policy that may be affecting you is the "must check mail before send" restriction. If you are just trying to send, even with password authentication, your SMTP Server may deny you SMTP access unless you to login to the POP Server first. The idea is to do a receive, check your mail, and then, when you log in to the SMTP server, you are still logging in from the same IP #. Kind of like a double authentication.

> one is always suspended
> between hope and despair!

It's called "Earth" my friend... and it's stuck somewhere between heaven and hell.

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
     |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM