Re: [NTLK] RECEIVED SOME STRANGE MAIL

From: Grant Hutchinson <grant_at_splorp.com>
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 22:00:10 EDT

On Mar 11, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Ryan Vetter wrote:

> I have reported Knowledge Navigator to the List Mod (Grant). To
> everyone else, Knowledge Navigator plugged his site on Newton
> Knowledge and was told to not post links to commercial sites or post
> anything at all on Newton Knowledge. Unfortunately, I found a plug
> to his site on a redundant page he created, and for the record,
> Navigator, Newton Knowledge is not affiliated with NTLK. I am still
> not going to make strict rules and check every user who wants to
> add, delete or create articles because of this... I feel Navigator
> is but the only person in the Newton community who would do
> something like this.

Just to be clear, I have never asked Knowledge Navigator *not* to post
links or announcements regarding his products or services. Providing
that they have been cleared with the list admin (that would be me),
you can post commercial messages according to the "List Conduct and
Policies" section of the NewtonTalk FAQ.

http://www.newtontalk.net/faq/

Ryan, I understand your concern ... but I have no problem with the
products or services that Knowledge Navigator provides - providing
that he (or she) has been following the etiquette of the list. Yes,
the messages should be better marked as commercial (eg: [ANN] or
[FS]), but I have still approved them as being reasonably benign and
quite within the context of the interests of the NewtonTalk community.

I will be contacting both of you off-list regarding this issue.

</ thread>

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian