Re: [NTLK] News on the NuBus cards...

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 03:02:08 EDT

At 03:55 PM 3/17/2009, you wrote:
>I guess this is where the mysterious egger
>software comes
>in.

Yes, that is correct. Way back, I had an armistice board in my Quadra
840AV. When you fired it up, you got the typical Mac startup screen
with all of the enabler widgets and a special screen from the
armistice board (yellow Newton logo if memory serves me right).

Once everything was started, you ran egger which would download a ROM
image into the board and would then start the ARM. Very shortly after
that, you got a Newton screen on your display and the mouse acted as
a stylus. You could download software via the serial port and store
them on the FLASH card that would stick out the back of your Mac.

I have a 1GB SCSI disk down in the basement with a copy of everything
I did from 1993 up to 1998, including egger and the last ROM image
before Apple sent out the 100s.

I think the best part of the whole system was when something went
wrong the debugger, I think it was called hammer, would make a clank
noise. Ever since then, whenever one of my programs failed, I would
say that it clanked.

Apparently, my Q840 was sent out for surplus with the armistice board
still in it. I suspect that GE Capital just crushed it.

Andrei