Re: [NTLK] GTD and Omnifocus vs. Newton

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 05:49:29 EDT

Ryan,

> However, in my business, if we did not remind ourselves of things,
> there is no way we would remember to do them all.

Too right. I like to jot something down immediately it pops into my
head so I can forget it without breaking the thread of my current
train of thought. I'm running two businesses and will be adding a bit
of a third this year, plus all the other complexities of modern
living - If only my memory was as good as Riccardo!

> Despite what some others might say, the Newton is really a business
> oriented device, and was never meant to be something for the
> average consumer. You can use it like a consumer, but there is so
> much more to it.

This is worth repeating now and again - business was the focus.

> What I have found so far is that there are 3 kinds of Newton users
> today.
>
> 1. Exploratory tech geek user (not really using it for anything but
> curiosity and fun)
> 2. Writers (Emates make great writing machines). I know of many
> people who use Newtons, today, for instance, to send articles to
> their Blog, or write stories/books.
> 3. Business users (I would imagine very, very little user base in
> this category).

That's probably about right for the community now but the other old-
timer Newton users here have passed through all those categories and
more - developers, both content and code, testers, pundits,
resellers, evangelists and groupies.

I still feel the most sorry for those whose businesses were created
on the back of the Newton platform and had their livelihoods
seriously affected by its cancellation.

Joel.