Re: [NTLK] OMP / MP100 with backlight

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 15:41:42 EDT

Hi:

So, Frank, you are saying it is not possible to add a backlight film because it would mean destroying the printed circuit that is embossed on the back of the LCD of the MP 100?

If that is not the case, what about obtaining a backlight foil?

I just got off the phone with electromike.com

The guy on the phone was very helpful, and told me that he used to actually retrofit backlights to PDAs years ago for sales people... so I knew right away I was in good company. He knows all about the Newton too! But has never worked with them. Anyway, he said that if the display is "transflexive"? that it would be hard to have a backlight on it because the light will not pass through the LCD, as the screen is designed to reflect outside light. If that is the case then putting in a backlight foil would be pretty useless.

However, if light will shine through the LCD, then it may be possible. He can get me the right backlight luminescence foil and an inverter for it.

At any rate, the LED stylus may be a good choice but my burning curiosity is getting the better of me.

Please let me know what you think, Frank.