Re: [NTLK] OT: The Future: Cyborgs and Invisible Computers?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 15:56:54 EDT

Many, many years ago, I played around with alpha-wave control (back in my college days) where we triggered certain lights and moved motorized objects just by thinking about them...of course, we had on a helmet with sensors embedded in it...I look forward to being "chipped" much like my cat...
And the old-timers on this list know my stance on the use of the human brain...the short take is, to use the human brain as a storage device (phone numbers, and such) to be a waste...The human brain is unique in that it's strengths cannot yet be replicated in mechanical brains (ie, pattern recognition)...but the human brain weaknesses can easily be performed by mechanical brains (intense calculations of milllions of numbers)
One of the items holding humans back from further evolution is that when we are born, we have to learn everything...taking math as an example, we have to learn simple addition in order to learn multiplication...Can you imagine if you can just download simple addition so you *START* with multiplication? And each successive generation will start that much further up! Then when you die, you can download your life's knowledge to your family...
One of my favorite sayings...which I made up is, "Information is only data until it is shared...then it becomes knowledge"

wow..that was a jumbled stream of thought...anyway..make of it what you will.

Ed
web/gadget guru
By Richard Feynman, Physicist, Nobel winner (1918-1988)

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."