Re: [NTLK] wrist sprain, tendonititus and ways to relieve

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 21:37:37 EDT

Thanks David.

----- Original Message ----
From: David Gibson <david.gibson@wap.org>
To: newtontalk@newtontalk.net
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:08:29 PM
Subject: [NTLK] wrist sprain, tendonititus and ways to relieve

It takes willpower to achieve, however, you can reduce
your typing effort by about 90% by switching to the DVORAK
keyboard layout which is hidden in both the Mac OS X and
Windows operating systems. I strongly recommend it as it
puts 90+% of the typing on the home row. QWERTY was
optimized to slow typing by maximizing finger travel so
that old fashioned hardware keys would not jam together.
DVORAK was optimized to minimize typing by the US Dept of
Commerce to try to speed the learning of typing skills and
the productivity of typists. The QWERTY keyboard is so
well optimized that ANY rearrangement of the keys will
result in a better layout.

There are DVORAK layouts optimized for people who have the
use of only their left hand or only their right hand as
well.

IT works very well. However, it took me a lot of will
power to switch because it is less productive for several
months. After that, watch out. It is wonderful. It would
be an excellent companion to stylus and speech
recognition.

David