[NTLK] ethernet success

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 23:41:56 EDT

After much trial and error,* finally succeeded E-net connections to
Leopard (PB G4) via NCX, and to internet. (MP 2100)

What works, required:

EthernetDock.pkg included with NCX (1.2)
      = "Ethernet" as Dock connection type
Using DHCP auto configuration (not manual) in Internet Setup
Starting up NCX before searching for desktop
Re-searching for desktop most attempts
       (occasionally works without searching first)
Only ASCII characters in desktop name (unicode no worky).
NetGear router RP614 (only one I have/tried)
Guyot's NIE patch
Victor Rehorst's instructions**
NCX allowed incoming connections in Firewall
        (if "Set access.." selected)
second attempt usually when first fails
        (often requires restarting NCX)
if fails second time, restart Newton
*Farallon driver also needed for 3COM cards

   **http://old.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/instructions.shtml

note: when setup correct, connecting takes seconds,
      much less than a minute

What didn't work:

TCP/IP packages, including Guyot's and Tempelmann's (although may be
necessary to find desktop first time, per NCX Readme)

crossover cable to Newton; or directly between PB and Newton (as NCX
guide warns)

With utmost hearty thanks to all the dedicated Newtonians providing
above software! Ain't nuttin' like a Newt, and Newties!

Good luck!

B C D