[NTLK] Installing from PCMCIA card?

R A Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Sun Nov 29 16:27:12 EST 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:

> Don't know about WiFi, but some of ethernet and/or internet enabler
> packages can't be installed to a card.
>
> A workaround is to back up to a card and then restore them onto the
> new Newton, either with built-in backup or SBM Utilities.

Mostly true, but the work around is how you prep a "Lending" card. One
solution is to place the packages into the In/Out Box by beaming from
another Newton or by downloading them using Newt's Cape. You can then
use the Put Away option to get them to your internal store.

Additionally, a backup of the internal store (of a Newton) to a PCMCIA
Card can be easily made by the Newton itself, without the use of SBM.
The packages (in the backup) can then be "selectively" restored to any
Newton, without having to erase (said Newton) or having to make it
"new."

Card lending would still be the fastest, most economical, and easiest
way to get a Newton setup for Ethernet. Gotta be better than mailing
your Newton off to some distant address, to have it done for you. I
would, of course, recommend a little hand-holding for the newbie, on
how to restore the packages properly, once the Lending card was
recieved.

--
Sent using an iNewt 3G Touch.
--