Re: [NTLK] Patents on Newton interface concepts

From: Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 11:46:06 EDT

~~~ On 2009/10/07 15:35, Chilton Webb at chilton@mac.com wrote ~~~

> Microsoft copied this for Internet Explorer, and it worked brilliantly
> (my opinion). If you only had a one button mouse, clicking and holding
> over something would pop open the context menu after awhile.

Hi Chilton,

Yes, this is one of my favourite things too. But Netscape/Netscape
Navigator has had the same feature, certainly since 2000 and maybe earlier.
It's one of the little touches of elegance that means I still have Netscape
on my Macs. ;-)

You mention the Newton's wonderful drawing system -- another feature I love
and one which never fails to get approving nods from people when I show it
off. It's yet another reason why I don't find the more "modern" gadgets
appealing. I wish I had a [monetary unit of choice] for every time I've
saved time and/or work by drawing something using either Shapes or Sketches
or both instead of having to do a lengthy description. And since I'm one of
those folks who doesn't usually need directions for anything but that last
few fiddly miles between the motorway and my destination, it suits me to add
to my contacts in Names a customized sketch showing only the key landmarks I
need to find them.

On a very different note, There's something new coming to computer art.
Look here:

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/yamta53>

 and a review of the same:

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/yc8fj7z>

If that turns out to be even half as good as it looks, it'll be something to
consider although I realize it's not really relevant to what you're doing.

Your app sounds interesting. I suppose we'll hear more in time?

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl