Re: [NTLK] My newton future... :-(

From: <rhonda_at_write-on.org>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 10:04:29 EDT

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 19:40:10 +0100, Lord Groundhog wrote:
>> I am not at everybody's beck and call, dammit!!! Only now I am :-(
>
> The most important thing here is to become known as someone who regards
> electronic communications as secondary and optional to real life and real
> work: the people and things you're with are real life and real work.
> You're a contrarian; that's good. People are half-way ready for you. Now
> become an **obstinate** contrarian! Only answer your phone calls and texts
> according to your own set of rules and priorities, and help the people
> around you to get used to that by making it clear what you're doing.

A lovely thought. I already partly do that.

Only problem is, one of my duties at work (once I get up to speed) will
be operations support. And operations runs 24/7, and problems can
happen outside of normal office hours - which is why work gave me a
blackberry.

Oh well. Last time operations had my phone number, I left them a note
alongside the number... to please remember time zone differences and
only wake me up if it's an emergency.

Now that I have a cel only and no land line, the cel spends the night
about as far from my bedroom as it can get in my place, and I think the
blackberry will do the same. :-)

-Rhonda