Re: [NTLK] My newton future... :-(

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Oct 10 2009 - 02:13:53 EDT

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:31 AM, James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time simply *believing* the number of people who seem to expect a near-instantaneous reply to any query they care to shoot my way.  This despite my telling them slowly and distinctly, (and well beforehand) that "it may take a day or two (and sometimes longer, depending) for me to get back to you."  As well as pointing out that handcuffs are *not* part of the feature set of my computer/mobile device.
> :/
>
> I think perhaps people have become used to the idea of their computer/mobile device simply spitting out answers without taking into account the fact that those answers are (usually) supplied by another human being.  A human being who may not have the time (or the necessary information) on hand to generate a prompt reply.

Naw. I think it's just human nature. I have a friend, who doesn't know
how to use a computer, only two weeks ago bought his first cell phone,
and he is about the worst person I know, for waiting for news! He's
really been putting me through it this week, in fact! He is is
anti-typical for "modern man", yet he has the same problem--tell him
it will take a couple days to get the answer, and he's calling you
that evening!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland